Wednesday, August 21, 2024

Quick 40k Game #2

 Last month I played 10th edition 40k for the first time. 

The kid and I returned to battle this weekend with effectively the same forces, and tried to incorporate more of the various layers of special rules. 

The Kid had a Space Marine Vanguard force (light scouty sorts) and I had an Eldar force.  This time I remembered to take a picture of the mission cards, so I can report to you that we had a Sweeping Engagement set up, a primary mission of Take and Hold, and a mission rule of Supply Lines.  That means that we deployed diagonally, with five somewhat offset objectives, and the supply lines mission rule meant that we generated an extra CP if we held onto our home objective. 

This time I actually remembered most of my special abilities, but I still spent a lot of time shuffling through printouts comparing various rules.

Initial set up
In this initial setup picture you can see that the Eldar are on the bottom, mostly centered on the left.  I remembered to set up the guardians on the objective.  Swooping hawks are off board ready to... swoop.  Rangers infiltrated into the forest on the top left.  The large group of marines near the center was shrouded by the librarian, so I could not shoot them.

Wraith blades vs. scout dreadnaught

The dread is a real beast, since it has three heavy weapons, two heavy stubbers, a rocket pod, power fist, and as a vehicle can tank shock... it killed off the wraith blades before finally getting killed by the wraith guard. 

Reivers and a lieutenant drop in to assassinate the Farseer

The Reivers popped in to assassinate my Farseer (the warlock had just been sniped), which they did very successfully.  Then they kill d a few guardians, who then turned left and blasted them off the board.  The lieutenant unfortunately lived.  I feel less bad about my unpainted farseer base when the reiver in the back left has no head... 

Final positioning
Two wraith guard left alive, five guardians, and four swooping hawks left at the start of turn four.  Swooping hawks now toss a TON of dice, so they managed to blast the lieutenant away before getting killed.  Somehow I ended up with seven figures left on the board, but a major win on points?  40k is weird. 

Playing games with painted miniatures is fun, the 40k universe is fun, but I am not convinced that 10th edition is fun, since there is a lot of "game-y" interaction between piles of special rules that hurt my head.  Never-the-less, we are going to play some more soon(-ish, now that school has started up again). 

3 comments:

tim said...

Great report! Looks like fun!

These smaller scale actions are what I LOVE playing! The previous edition did a really good job of accommodating smaller forces and actions and incorporating them into the whole Crusade Campaign system. The Narrative scenarios were way more interesting.

I haven't really looked at the Crusade stuff for 10E, I think it's in a separate book...? I don't know... I made the mistake of buying the mini edition of the 10E rules which has little in the way of rules and is so small, I have a hard time reading it WITH my reading glasses on!?

I've only played a few games of 10E and they were all matched play - which is what it looks like you were playing - with the cards and stuff...? and I totally agree, it is weird... it felt like more of a GAME than any sort of conflict simulation!

Age of Sigmar seems to have gone the same way with the new edition. In the previous one, you could play in Paths to Glory campaign system with starting forces around 500 points, I think...? The narrative system had a LOT going on with rich fluff for tracking your warband or retinue's progress and lands they'd conquered and slowly build them up to a full army...

The current edition has moved more towards Matched Play - it's just a way to play matched play, but your heroes and units earn experience points and gain advantages the more you play... but there are NO CONSEQUENCES... nobody ever DIES!? If they're taken they just don't get AS MUCH experience points as the ones that were still on the table at the end of the game!?

Anyway, so exciting to see your minis on the table finally! I hope you can find some fun way to play with them all now!

Stew said...

nice looking table and minis. if the rules aren't good for fun games there are likely plenty of alternatives. Good to play with your son as well. 😁

Suber said...

Looking good! It looks like you had quite some fun!