Friday, March 11, 2011

On verisimilitude

Verisimilitude is something which I perhaps have an excessive fondness for.  Building a Warhammer Army?  Let us spend too many brain cycles thinking about its origin, its likely "realistic" composition etc.  Imperial Guard army?  Let us worry excessively about the TO&E about the regiment from which the units are drawn.  Neo-Soviets?  Whole campaign setting just to justify various equipment options which are "cool". Warhammer Fantasy Battles 8th edition bothers me because of its frankly bizarre terrain rules, mostly because I wonder how civilization would exisit with a higher chance of magical trees than normal trees.

For the Deepest Sea, I worry about the relative abundance of magical creatures in regions.  I think about silver economies for their historical cachet, rather than for game-ist reasons [rather excellent ones too].  I try to justify monster placement in dungeons by thinking about the reasons that a killer toad might be trapped in this area, and what it might eat to survive, and how many would be needed for a breeding population.

A long list of thinking about details of various places and times, which may or may not ever matter to anyone but myself.

Sometimes, maybe I should just play.  Just let all this obsession with reality, fictional reality at that, go, and play.

No comments: