Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Terrain from the past

When I first started reading about Warhammer 40k online, I somehow stumbled on to Terragenesis, back when it was run by Gary James as a sort of proto-blog. He had all sorts of great projects, and in particular a Gothic church that caught my fancy.  I decided to build something similar, when I turned my hand to terrain creation.

I created this as a sort of Sisters of Battle Chapel, since they had just come out at the time of its construction, and my then girl friend was interested in them.  Construction was common cardboard with drywall spackle over it, details with thinner card and from various wood bits.  Paint was common craft acrylics.  As a piece of terrain it was not very useful, since it was not accessible, and therefore became merely a large piece of LOS blocking terrain.

Sisters of Battle Chapel


Here you can see the damage wrought by time and exposure to the spackle



This cottage was one of two made to tie in with the chapel.  As you can see, it had an interior, which made it marginally more useful than the chapel.  Again it was constructed from cardboard and spackle, although in this case it had half timber work done with various bits of wood.
 
These last two buildings were part of a set of three that I made for an art project at school (and designed with an eye to using them for 40k).  As I recall, we were supposed to design a memorial, and this was to be a memorial to "bombed out cities ruined by airpower" or some such, where the buildings would be constructed in a pit, and then the viewer would see them from above as if they were in a bomber. Sounds very "art class" no?
 
Besides the stated goal of the project, my goal was to get some useful terrain out of of this expenditure of effort.  So I had three building ruins, roughly the right size for miniatures to fit in and fire out of the windows, and away I went.  Construction was foam core and PVA glue, supported with pins while the glue dried.  However, as with all school projects, I started it far far too late at night, and had to rush the production, most particularly the painting stage, as you can see here. 


Unfortunately, all of these buildings were packed up after I moved out of my apartment, and then languished in my parents' attic for a decade.  They recently cleared everything out, and the box of terrain came home with me.  I was going to toss it all out, but my son kept them to play with in the garden, where they have been suffering the effects of exposure for a few months.  Once it starts raining again, they are headed for the trash.  A pity, but they have not aged well, and I find them shockingly bad now.

No comments: