Saturday, July 25, 2020

Birthday Loot

I suffered through another annual reminder of my ever advancing age recently, which is particularly strange in these strange times.  At least my parents and sister could come to the backyard to help celebrate.

And I got some pretty sweet stuff.
Hit the Beach is a pretty amazing starter for FOW, since in addition to the starter set exclusive Germans and US infantry, it also has regular kit versions of pak 40s, panzer IVs, and a ton of M4 tanks.  All priced for $5 more than just a platoon of five M4 tanks would cost.  I was thinking about building a US medium tank company, and I would only need one more copy of Hit the Beach and a couple $9 sprues from Battlefront... might have to happen.  In any case, a few of the American options are going to be prepared soon for Chain of Command... and then probably painted very slowly over the next year.

The Warcry Gloomspite Gits box is a typical of current GW offering, where they take some older kits and bang them together in a box with extra materials for less than buying one of the kits on its own.  In this case the squig hoppers, which I wanted, come with three "sneaky snufflers", which I do not care about (but might be conversion fodder) as well as all the cards and boards needed to make up a Warcry... for exactly the same price as the squig hoppers alone.


Not sure why my mother thought that I wanted the Ultramarines banner, but at least the kid is excited!  I predict it will be hung in his room pretty soon, and is sure to feature in the myriad of Zoom calls he will be on in the fall.

In addition to the gifts from others, I happened to have an eBay score arrive at the same time.
In this case four platoons of FoW figures for a very low price.  Three German platoons, and one Italian (and the guy threw in a 12cm mortar platoon too, which with a range of 6km is hardly useful for skirmishing, except perhaps as a objective target).

Looks like lots of painting little men is in my future.

or is it?


7 comments:

Stew said...

Nice hull of stuff and happy birthday! You did some great eBay shopping there. 😀

And I’m very curious about what you have going on there in that last pic.

Michael Awdry said...

Very many happy returns!

Dai said...

Nice haul mate and a very belated "Happy birthday!" to ya!

CoC in 15mm seems the sweetspot as far as scale. Shame I got rid of nearly all my 15mm stuff - just a painted platoon of Brit infantry and a HMG on the "to-paint" pile left. (And some odds and sods in my 15mm bits box - might have to see if there's anything in there you'd be interested in infact.)

Merijn said...

A (warp-delayed*) happy birthday to you. Nice haul. Flames of War is an interesting game and I expect a ton of fun to paint. But the true prize is the cardboard picture at the bottom. Are you into major (small scale) construction?
Cheers,
Merijn

* always a valid excuse ;)

Lasgunpacker said...

Thanks guys!

Yes, loads of loot, and should be fun to paint all the 15mm stuff... someday.

@Dai 15mm does seem more reasonable than 28mm for large platoon battles, otherwise the table and terrain requirements get pretty sizable.

Plenty of building going on, so more to come on that!

FourEyedMonster said...

A terribly belated birthday greetings to you. Looks like it was a good one just from the gifts you received :)

SITZKRIEG! said...

Happy belated Bday and congrats on the annual tribute! :)